Exposition Internationale de l'Est de la France, Nancy, France, 1909
The Exposition Internationale de l'Est de la France or the International Exhibition of the East of France was an exhibition held in Nancy in 1909. The exhibition opened on May 1 and ran until October 31. The exhibition was held to demonstrate recovery from the Alsace-Lorraine annexation in the 1870 war. There were over 2000 exhibitors and 2 million visitors. Visitor attractions included a water chute, French gardens, a mining and gas pavilions. There was an Alsatian Village and a Senagalese village. Source: Wikipedia. [Senegal was a French colony at that time].
The 1909 Exposition in Nancy included an exhibition of incubators and human babies by Alexandre Lion. Dr. Lion operated storefront "institutes"" with incubators and human babies in several cities in France, and also had incubator pavilions at many international exhibitions in both Europe and the United States around the turn of the century. Photo supplied by Drs. Thijs Gras.
A map of the exhibition grounds is shown below. Click the image for a larger version.
An aerial conception of the exhibition grounds is shown below. Click the image for a larger version.
Alexandre Lion sold souvenir postcards based on a common template at nearly all of his establishments and exhibitions. These are easy to find on eBay and in various image collections on-line. The postcard for the Nancy Exhibition is shown below.